Not many details yet. Sounds like they might be flying me out next week to get started. The new office is supposed to open on October 9th. Not sure when we’ll move the family. We’ve called and put the ball in motion to put the house on the market. Anyone want to buy a house in Violetville?
So today is the day. I expect a phone call from the guy I want to be working for some time today. I got a job offer from the company that’s replacing me, to continue working at this location, here in Baltimore. But that’s just my last ditch effort, I really want to move.
Over the last week there’s been 3 times that I’ve had to wait for the call. Upper management was here last week and pulled me aside to tell me that I could expect a phone call some time before Friday. Then on Tuesday they called me aside again and basically told me to expect an offer on Friday. When I got the call on Friday he wanted to interview me. So we scheduled the interview for Monday morning.
Monday morning I was home watching the kids, the guy knew this ahead of time, and they asked me the normal frustrating interview questions like, Name your biggest challenge, and how you overcame it. Ugh! After the interview was over we discussed some specifics regarding the job, and he told me I should hear back from him on Wednesday, if not before. I was feeling pretty sick yesterday afternoon, so I went to bed about 8:30. I must have woken up every 15 minutes or so… anxious. I’d dream about the new job, and the phone call and every time wake up and realize that it was just a dream.
So I’m sitting here now. Avoiding work. Waiting on the phone call.
So last Friday, I got an email from The Guy, in Cincinnati, that was my biggest lead towards actually moving/transferring out there. Basically it said that I was not qualified for the support position that he has open and to stick it out here, through the transition and possibly transfer with the new company. Bah. I can’t begin to express my frustration and disappointment.
We spent an awesome weekend with my family, mostly just relaxing. I was so frustrated that we didn’t even really look at houses, or drive around to see what was available outside of Lebanon. We did drive through a community that is newer, we picked up some brochures that were on the lawn hangers… eyed up what we can get for our money, but that’s about it. Without a target move date, it feels like a waste of time to even look. Without a job, it feels foolish to consider moving. Without having a target move date, it feels like a waste of time to even consider selling our house. Enter waiting mode.
I had off on Wednesday, even though we were back in town. Mostly took it easy, although I realized that this job search thing needs to be real. It hadn’t been up until last week, simply because I had high hopes. Hopes that I didn’t really have to do a whole lot, that I’d just get transferred and life would be good. But as I sit surfing the Internet, wasting time, I realized that I should probably do something about finding a new job.
When the phone rang, It was my uncle. We really don’t talk all that much, although I wish that were different, and realize that I have as much to play in that as he does. So it was surprising to hear him. He was interested in buying our house, to get closer to his kids. I let him know the news about not having a job, what we were hoping to sell the house for, and that it’d probably be early November before we were ready. He didn’t balk at any of the information, so my hopes begin to rise.
Hopes that we may not have to pay a realtor on either side… perhaps a lawyer, but not exorbitant realtor fees. That we wouldn’t have to wait for a buyer, and that the house would be in the hands of someone who would take care of it and not destroy it, like the folks that were living there before us. Hopes begin to rise.
Yesterday I spent a lot of time on Monster.com and Careerbuilder, checking out jobs available in the Cincinnati area. I may have sent my resume to 5 or 6 different positions. I’m tweaking my resume and reading some webpages about how to apply for jobs through the Internet…I’m only applying to jobs in Cinci because I’m fairly confident that I have a job in Baltimore if I want to stay, although nothing is firm yet.
I got another email this morning, I’m doing my best not to get my hopes up, just to have them dashed again…. but that’s not me. It’s hard. I trust in a God who provides, who doesn’t show me things to just take them away…. so it’s hard not to get my hopes up. So I’m not gonna so much more about it, as a way of protecting it.